Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Amanuensis Monday 'Conveyance of Sale of Slave'


I am new to transcribing but, I was searching for the Hero's family in Henry County and I came across some sales and information about Slaves in the deeds. I thought on Monday's I would share them with my friends. Forgive errors and if you have a better insight, please post in the comments.

Alabama Henry County} Know all men of these presents that I James Kirkland of the County and State aforesaid have barganed and sold in open market according to the Statues in Law one Negro woman about Thirty years old Named Rachal unto Nelles Kirkland of the County of Dale and State a fore said for an a in consideration of the Sales of four hundred Dollars to ? in hand paid of the Said Nelles Kirkland Where of I the said James Kirkland do warrant and defend a ? full Right of said Negro woman unto the said Nelles Kirkland his heirs and assigners from the Law full claime of any other person or persons What soevr unt to him the said Nelles Kirkland witness where of I the said James Kirkland have hear unto set my hand and affixed my seal this 10th day of Januy 1823
Signed Sealed and delivred in person er us
Test                                                                  hs
John Benefeled                                        James h Kirkland
Samuel Paulk                                                   mark
Henry County Deed Book
 

 

1 comment:

  1. A very good job transcribing. I always use a ? or -------- for illegible words, and hope someone else can figure them out for me. I was taught to end the line exactly at the same word as on the original, use the same spelling, capitalization, italicized words (as in gravestones) and even politically incorrect words. It gets easier as you become accustomed to the handwriting.

    ReplyDelete